Do Life Differently.
Blaze Your Own Trail.
- Houston looks to boost turnout by offering 24-hour votingHOUSTON (AP) — As rapper Bun B finished his late-night set during a drive-in concert to promote eight 24-hour polling places in and around Houston, he urged fans to go out into the night — and… — Read on apnews.com/article/election-2020-politics-houston-voting-texas-351f6e1c4820d8f2b2eb7468a725cce0 Love this.
- Swim Goggles, Thank You Cards, and YouTube. How Regaining a Sense of Control Can Make “Just Staying Home” a Little Less Scary.Driving down the highway (before self-isolation of course) and seeing those big Atlas or Allied Van Lines 18-wheelers moving trucks has always given me a little jolt of excitement and a slight pang of jealously…someone is off on a grand adventure. I read the names of the companies listed on the trucks’ broad sides. OnceContinue reading “Swim Goggles, Thank You Cards, and YouTube. How Regaining a Sense of Control Can Make “Just Staying Home” a Little Less Scary.”
- No Excuses“She’s 10, right???,” was my sister’s sarcastic response upon reading my daughter’s email to her classmates. Yup, she’s 10 and she knows how to set clear expectations and hold people accountable. She acknowledged that her classmates have other priorities, or at least that one of them does. She itemized the tasks required and provided stores thatContinue reading “No Excuses”
- We’ve Turned Childhood into a Competition and We’re all LosingWe are a competitive culture. In business school we are taught that we can’t fix it until we measure it. As a society, we are addicted to knowing where we rank—first, second, third—and to constant improvement in an effort to raise our scores. Since our kids were babies, we logged their first smiles, celebrated that magicalContinue reading “We’ve Turned Childhood into a Competition and We’re all Losing”
- Putting Down Your Smartphone Will Make You a Better ParentPut down your iPhone, your Galaxy, or whichever smart device you happen to favor. You’ll be happier, healthier, and will be a better role model for your kids. We look at our phones approximately 47 times a day, on average, according to Deloitte’s 2016 Global Mobile Consumer Survey. If you’re between 18 and 24, chances areContinue reading “Putting Down Your Smartphone Will Make You a Better Parent”
- This is Determination.Every May, a couple of weeks before school got out, our kids’ school held Field Day. A real field day with medals and podiums and winners and losers. It was held down on the lower field. Sixth grades were the field day captains, psych videos were made, smack talk was exchanged. Two tiki torches, flameContinue reading “This is Determination.”
- “Basics of Life” According to an Eight-Year-OldAn eight-year-old’s list of the “basics of life,” shared after she said that she doesn’t understand why everyone doesn’t understand the “basics of life.” Be nice Be strong Never give up Always try your best Get back up
- Your Child Is Dyslexic…Now What?You sat in the psychologist’s office and she said the words you were dreading to hear… “Your daughter is dyslexic.” Your wonderful, smart kid has been labeled and it breaks your heart. First, know these five things: It will be okay. You’re not the first person to head down this path and you won’t be theContinue reading “Your Child Is Dyslexic…Now What?”
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.